Dollar spot treatment services offered in Woodstock, Roswell, Alpharetta, and surrounding metro Atlanta areas.
Fighting off dollar spot fungus from your lawn requires routine treatments and lawn care services.
Dollar spot fungus can't be removed with normal fungicide treatments. Fighting off this fungal lawn disease demands preventative lawn care services and treatments performed regularly throughout the year.
TurfXpert can help create a specialized lawn care treatment plan that rids your yard of dollar spots and maintains the health and appearance of your grass. Our services are readily available for homes and business properties near and around the metro Atlanta area, including Woodstock, Roswell, and Alpharetta.
What is Dollar Spot?
Anyone who has struggled with dollar spot will tell you that identifying this fast-spreading lawn fungus is the easy part.
Dollar spots appear as round, sunken patches in your lawn that are about the size of a silver dollar, hence the name. These straw-colored grass spots are a common problem for homeowners in Atlanta and will appear due to several different conditions:
- Temperatures remain consistently between 60 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit
- High humidity levels
- Low soil moisture and drought stress
Grass blades covered in morning dew or rain are favorable conditions for dollar spot fungus. Anything keeping your lawn wet for extended periods of time helps the disease thrive and will be even more active once daily temperatures are below 70 degrees.
However, while the weather is mostly to blame for the spread of dollar spot, just like with other lawn diseases, it is also prevalent in poorly maintained and undernourished lawns. Bad mowing practices and low nitrogen levels all contribute to an increase in this fungus.
Dollar spot is most rampant during late spring and fall.
What Kind of Grass Species Are Affected?
Unfortunately, this fungus does not discriminate in the types of grass that it will infect. Dollar spot can impact virtually any kind of warm and cool-season grasses. It will most especially affect:
How Can You Remove and Control Dollar Spot?
Most lawn care experts agree that constant preventative care and lawn maintenance are your best chances of controlling dollar spot. Fungicides can work in some cases, but very few are effective at fully removing the disease from your lawn. Instead, we recommend establishing a new lawn care program to help increase your turf's resistance to dollar spot and other fungal diseases.
Being proactive with the lawn care practices listed below can make all the difference in controlling the spread of dollar spot:
- Minimize moisture, but water intermittently - Irrigating the roots and soil deeply will keep both well hydrated without causing the grass blades to stay overly soaked for too long.
- Aerate your lawn- Drought-stress and soil compaction make lawns more susceptible to dollar spot. Core aeration helps control thatch layers formed at the base of your grass blades that block water, oxygen, and nutrients from being absorbed by your lawn's root system.
- Fertilize your lawn regularly- Applying a nitrogen-rich fertilizer provides a consistent supply of nutrients that improves the strength of your grass and its ability to combat fungal lawn diseases.
- Follow the 1/3 rule when mowing your lawn- Grass cut too short weakens and damages lawns. This is known as "scalping" and will make yards more prone to weed growth and diseases like dollar spot.
Have dollar spots started popping up across your lawn? Our team can help control the spread!
Stop waking up to a dalmatian style lawn by hiring our team at TurfXpert to help control the spread of dollar spot! We're trained in all the best lawn disease control strategies and can provide a preventative plan unique to your lawn. If your residential or commercial property is located in Woodstock, Roswell, or near the metro Atlanta area, give us a call at (833) 444-8873 today!