Armyworms are lawn insects commonly found in Georgia that feed on your grass during the spring and summer which can turn into a full-blown infestation in the fall. You might be dealing with armyworms if you notice small patches of dead or chewed-up grass on your lawn. If your lawn suffered from an armyworm infestation this year, chances are that they will return in the spring, even if you scheduled a professional curative treatment to get rid of them. However, the best things you can do to prevent a future armyworm infestation are scheduling yearly preventative treatments and consistent lawn care and maintenance services.
Preventative armyworm treatments will save you time and money.
If armyworms found their way to your property once, it is likely that they will return if you don't do something to stop them. Instead of using curative treatments to exterminate armyworms after they have already done their damage, scheduling preventative treatments will keep them from coming in the first place. Although a preventative treatment requires your time and money upfront, it will be much less expensive than if your lawn gets infested again; once your lawn gets infested, not only will you have to pay for curative treatments but you will also have to pay for the services needed to nurse your lawn back to health.
If you schedule preventative armyworm treatments each year, you can rest assured that your lawn won't get attacked again and you won't have to put in the time, effort, and money to help your lawn recover.
Armyworms are at their most active in the late summer or early fall, so it is recommended to schedule preventative treatments before this time.
Consistent lawn care and maintenance services will prevent future armyworm infestations.
There are multiple lawn care services that will help to make your lawn healthy and strong. There are also a few lawn maintenance habits that you can follow to keep your lawn strong all year round. Although these things don't directly treat or prevent armyworm infestations, they strengthen your lawn which increases its resistance to lawn insects.
- Fertilization: Regular fertilization replenishes your lawn with the vital nutrients it needs to be strong and healthy all year round. If your grass is healthy and strong, it is less likely to fall prey to lawn insects like armyworms.
- Weed control: Weeds actively steal water, sunlight, and essential nutrients in your soil from your grass. By keeping your lawn weed-free, your grass won't have to compete for these nutrients.
- Aeration: Regular aeration opens up your lawn and allows your soil to better absorb the nutrients it needs to feed your grass.
- Correct mowing habits: Regularly mowing your lawn allows you to keep your grass at an even length which promotes equal distribution of nutrients. Mowing your lawn consistently also reduces thatch buildup and helps to control weeds.
- Correct watering habits: Watering your lawn consistently and correctly allows the roots of your grass to take a firmer hold in your soil, promoting healthy growth.
Give us a call to schedule our preventative armyworm treatments.
Nobody likes dealing with unwanted visitors, especially when those visitors destroy your lawn! If your lawn has suffered from armyworm infestations in the past, our lawn insect experts at TurfXpert have everything you need. We offer both preventative armyworm treatments and all the lawn care and maintenance services needed to keep armyworms from returning to your property. We provide these services to the homes and businesses in Woodstock, Roswell, Alpharetta, and nearby communities in Georgia. Call us at (833) 444-8873 today to hire our experts to protect your property from pesky armyworms!